In the world of hair oiling, you can enjoy the many benefits of hair oil like smoother, healthier-looking strands. Applying hair oil is an easy way to liberate your natural hair from frizz and dryness as it locks in nourishing moisture, nutrients, and damage-fighting antioxidants.
Where can you start with so many types of hair oil to choose from? We’re here to help. And once you’ve found the right hair oil for you, the answers on how to apply oil to hair come easily. Throw on your nighttime gear, grab your natural oil and a microfiber towel, and head to your at-home spa as we walk you step-by-step through how to use hair oil.
How to Oil Your Hair in 5 Simple Steps
Hair oil can be applied to both damp and dry hair. They both achieve slightly different goals, and the results will vary by hair owner. Generally, oiling damp hair can be done as a more deeply penetrative treatment, while oiling dry hair focuses on polishing frizzy ends and finishing styles.
Oiling damp or dry hair requires just a few easy steps:
- Rub the natural oil between your palms and finger pads to warm it
- Work the oil evenly through your hair mid-shaft to ends
- Shampoo and condition as normal
How to Oil Damp Hair
When oiling damp or wet hair, the first step is to blot excess moisture from your natural hair with a microfiber or regular towel. Your hair strands should not be dripping wet. Then, run a styling brush or wide-tooth comb through it to release any tangles.
Focus on the ends and mid-shafts
On damp or wet hair, focus the oil from the middle of your hair down to the ends. Unless you’re using an oil specifically designed for scalp treatment, avoid your scalp and roots.
- Use a small amount of oil—one or two drops to start
- Rub the oil between your hands to gently warm it
- Work oil evenly over each strand of hair from the mid-hair shaft to the end
How to Oil Dry Hair
You can also apply hair oil to dry hair. This can be done as a moisturizing treatment or a quick frizz smoother during the day.
Apply to ends and mid-shafts
On dry hair, you won’t need a lot of oil to coat the entire hair shaft—it should feel soft, not oily or heavy.
- Start with one drop of oil for dry hair
- Rub the oil between your hands to gently warm it
- Work the oil evenly from mid-shaft to hair ends
Apply to places to tame, polish, or prevent frizz
If you’re using oil on dry hair to tame flyaways, polish your style, or prevent frizz throughout the day, treat it like a spot corrector.
- Start with a half to one drop of oil for dry spot treatment
- Rub the oil between your finger pads to gently warm it
- Focus the oil on frizzy hair shafts and ends, avoiding roots and scalp
When it comes to using hair oil, you may consider thoroughly washing your hair before applying any hair oil so your strands can absorb every bit of its moisture. You can use a smoothing shampoo and smoothing conditioner to give your mane a deep, nourishing cleanse.
How to Style With Hair Oil
If you’re looking to style your hair with hair oil, be sure to select a lightweight product that helps tame frizz, provides a smooth texture, and leaves your locks with a grease-less appearance.
For day-to-day use, simply apply your oil to damp hair and let it air dry. If you’re using a hair dryer or other heat-styling tool to achieve an effortless blow-out look, apply a few drops of hair oil through damp hair before applying heat. This will help lock in moisture and result in a smooth, polished finish. If you’re adding final touches to dry hair, you can apply a few drops of hair oil as a finisher.
How Often Should I Use Hair Oil?
Whether you’re using hair oil as a treatment on wet hair or a finisher on dry hair, you can use it one or more times a week, depending on when you feel that your mane could use a bit of extra moisture.
It may take some testing time to master your ideal hair oiling routine and achieve your desired results. If you spot any of these warning signs, it might be time to amend your routine or try out a new kind of oil:
- Your hair feels heavy or unclean
- Your hair feels greasy instead of soft and shiny
- Your scalp and hair are oilier than usual
- Your scalp feels itchy or irritated
Experience Healthier Hair With Living Proof
Say goodbye to brittle-dry ends and hello to a shiny-smooth style. Learning how to use hair oil can transcend your haircare routine to new heights.
At Living Proof, we’ve engineered a lightweight hair oil that does it all so you don’t have to. Our Vanishing Oil is scientifically formulated with ingredients to soak in and restore thick and fine hair—without any oily residue.
It’s safe on color-treated hair, free of silicones, and humidity’s fiercest enemy. Shop our hair products online to prevent frizzy hair for good and to help restore your luscious locks.
- National Library of Medicine. Hair Cosmetics: An Overview. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/
- Vogue India. The best way to oil your hair to get the most out of the soothing ritual. https://www.vogue.in/how-to/content/best-way-to-oil-your-hair-for-thick-healthy-hair
- Huffpost. The Best Way To Use Hair Oil, According To Experts. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hair-oil-tips-experts_l_5c6cec28e4b0e37a1ed2ca92