In a world where time is precious and convenience is key, the allure of achieving a professional-looking blowout at home is undeniable. Whether it’s a desire to save money, avoid crowded salons, or simply to take control of your own hair styling journey, the quest for salon-quality results without stepping foot in a salon resonates with many.
In a recent article focusing on 2023 hair trends, Vogue reports that long hair and a more styled aesthetic are set to dominate the scene. This year, it’s all about embracing your length and perfecting your at-home blowout game to achieve a chic, polished look. From loose, effortless waves to sleek and straight hair, the key is finding the style that complements your face shape, hair texture, and personality.
In this post, we empower you to elevate your hairstyling skills and achieve a stunning blowout that showcases your unique personality and style. Now, let’s redefine the boundaries of at-home haircare and unveil the secrets to attaining salon-worthy results from the comfort of your own home.
What you’ll need.
As you start the journey toward achieving a professional-looking blowout at home, it’s important to gather the right products and tools tailored to your unique hair type. Below, we’ve curated a comprehensive list of essentials designed to cater to a variety of hair textures and styles.
- Shampoo — Choose a shampoo that addresses your specific hair concerns, whether it’s for color-treated, dry, oily, or damaged hair.
- Conditioner — Select a conditioner that complements your chosen shampoo and targets your hair’s unique needs.
- Deep conditioning mask (optional) — Indulge in a weekly deep conditioning treatment to keep your hair healthy and nourished.
- Detangling spray — Prevent breakage and protect your hair with a detangling spray to smooth out any knots or tangles.
- Living Proof’s Style Lab Blowout styling spray — Enhance your blowout results with this lightweight styling spray that helps create a long-lasting, salon-quality finish.
Tools + accessories:
- Wide-toothed comb — Detangle your hair gently and efficiently.
- Microfiber towel or turban — Reduce frizz and breakage by using a microfiber towel or turban to dry your hair.
- Heat protectant spray — Shield your hair from heat damage with a high-quality heat protectant spray.
- Leave-in conditioner — Keep your hair hydrated and smooth with a nourishing leave-in conditioner.
- Anti-frizz serum — Minimize frizz and add shine with an anti-frizz serum specifically designed for coarse hair.
- Texturizing spray — Add body and texture to straight or fine hair with a lightweight texturizing spray.
- Thickening cream — Boost volume and fullness with a thickening cream.
- Round/barrel brush — Achieve the perfect tension and smoothness while blow-drying with a round or barrel brush.
- Blow dryer — Ensure even heat distribution and precise styling with a high-quality blow dryer and concentrator nozzle attachment.
- Hair clips — Section your hair with ease using durable and snag-free hair clips.
- Volumizing spray — Elevate your hair’s body and bounce with a volumizing spray designed for thin hair.
- Finishing cream or spray — Lock in your style and add a final touch of shine with a finishing cream or spray.
- Flat iron (optional) — For an ultra-sleek look, a flat iron can be used to smooth out any remaining waves.
Browse our Scalp Care collection to discover how to promote a healthy foundation for your blowout. Explore the collection.
Assemble your essentials and get ready to embrace your hair’s remarkable capabilities as you create a stunning, professional-grade blowout at home.
5 steps to the perfect at-home blowout.
With the right products and tools in hand, you’re ready to hone your skills in achieving a salon-worthy blowout at home. Follow the expert tips below to get started.
1. Wash your hair
Selecting the appropriate shampoo and conditioner for your hair type is crucial for optimal results. Choose silicone-free products formulated for your specific hair type to set the foundation for a flawless at-home blowout.
Science tip: Silicone-based products can weigh hair down, making it challenging to achieve the desired volume and bounce.
2. Prep your hair
Gently remove excess moisture with a turban or microfiber towel, then apply a detangling spray and use a wide-toothed comb to prevent breakage. Depending on your hair type, you may want to incorporate additional products, such as an anti-frizz serum for coarse hair, a thickening cream for fine hair, or a texturizing spray for straight hair. Always opt for styling products with built-in heat protection.
Science tip: Wet hair is more susceptible to damage, so handling it gently during the prepping stage is essential.
3. Rough dry your hair
With a blow dryer set to low or medium heat, roughly dry your hair until it’s 50%–70% dry. Then finger style until it’s approximately 80-85% dry. For coarse or textured hair, aim for 60%–65% dryness, allowing the brush to further smooth out the strands. To achieve a voluminous style, flip your hair upside down while drying to create more lift at the roots.
Science tip: Heat application lifts the hair cuticle layer and can damage the core of the strand, making heat protectant vital for maintaining hair health. Try our Triple Bond Complex, which penetrates deep into the hair’s cortex to create new bonds and strengthen existing ones, restoring damaged hair from the inside out and sealing the cuticle for a smooth, healthy-looking finish.
4. Section + style your hair
Using a comb and hair clips, separate your hair into sections, working with one section at a time to make the blowout process more manageable. Once you’ve finished each section, use the cold shot feature on your blow dryer to blast it with cold air, locking in the style.
Science tip: The cold air helps to close the hair cuticle, sealing in moisture and enhancing shine.
5. Finish your hair
Complete your look with your favorite finishing product! Apply a lightweight oil, cream, volumizing spray, or hairspray to add shine or hold. If desired, use a flat iron to smooth any flyaways or frizz.
Science tip: Finishing products provide a protective barrier, helping to maintain the style and help prevent environmental factors from affecting your freshly-styled blowout.
How to make your at-home blowout last.
Achieving a stunning blowout is only half the battle — the key to truly enjoying your salon-worthy style lies in making it last. Below, you’ll find valuable tips on extending the life of your at-home blowout, plus a glimpse into the science behind these techniques that help you maintain that distinct look.
Use a pre-blowout styling spray — Applying a styling spray like Living Proof’s Style Lab Blowout styling spray before drying your hair enhances brushwork and helps your style hold up longer. The scientifically formulated ingredients in the spray provide a flexible hold, ensuring your hair stays put without feeling stiff or sticky.
Avoid tight hairstyles — Wearing your hair in a topknot or tight ponytail can cause dents and disrupt your blowout. Opt for looser styles to maintain the smooth, voluminous look.
Apply dry shampoo — Refresh your roots by applying dry shampoo to absorb excess oil and keep your hair looking clean. The science behind dry shampoo involves absorbing sebum and adding texture, which helps maintain your blowout’s fresh appearance.
Don’t touch — Resist the urge to run your fingers through your hair, as natural oils and products from your hands can transfer to your hair, making it appear oily and dirty more quickly.
Protect your hairline — Be cautious when washing your face, as wetting your hairline can lead to frizz. Using a headband or hair wrap can help keep your hair dry and frizz-free.
Embrace nighttime care — Safeguard your blown-out hair while you sleep by using a soft scrunchy, claw clip, or silk turban to keep your hair in place. Alternatively, consider sleeping on a silk pillowcase. The smooth texture of silk reduces friction, which helps prevent frizz, tangles, and breakage, ensuring your blowout remains fresh and intact.
Texturizing spray — Give your hair a boost by applying a texturizing spray, which adds lift and grip for a more voluminous, lived-in look. The science behind texturizing sprays involves the use of unique polymers that add texture and body to your hair, enabling you to maintain that salon-fresh style even days after your blowout.
As you implement these tips to make your at-home blowout last, remember that each step plays a crucial role in maintaining your professional-looking style. Now that you’re armed with the knowledge to extend the life of your blowout, why not explore other ways to elevate your haircare routine?
Take our haircare quiz to discover the perfect products for your unique hair needs. And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop with our latest tips and exclusive offers.